Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DIY Elmo Cake & Cupcakes

My nephew's second birthday was this weekend. It was cute with lots of DIY touches that my sister did. There was lots of Cricut use and a homemade Elmo cake stand. If you don't know what a Cricut is, you are obviously not a crafter or scrapbooker. It's a machine that cuts out all kinds of cute shapes and letters.

I, somehow, ended up with the cake tasks. Somehow means I offered to help (being polite) and my sister hands me this whole cake decorating kit. I'm like, " Wtf am I going to do with that?" I don't know how to decorate a cake. She, on the other hand, has taken several classes. Ugh!

A week or so before this I sent her some links for cute and easy Elmo cake decorating ideas. They kind of looked like cracked-out Elmos with big, spastic eyes. Using two large marshmallows on a cupcake is eye overkill and a little scary.

We modified all of the "awesome" online suggestions to make Elmo look more normal. The result was cute...until it got hot. Then the red frosting started to melt. Our formerly cute Elmos began look like an Elmo version of the Scream mask. You know, long open mouth?!?!

Note: If you are trying to get white frosting to turn a bright red color, do not, I repeat, do not use a whole squeezy bottle of food coloring. The frosting cannot handle it and maintain consistency.



After decorating 40ish cupcakes it was time for the little cake. I was terrified to try this wax paper transfer technique. But it worked like a charm. There were a few spots where I had to touch-up the line. Something I did, to make sure that the base frosting didn't peel off with the wax paper, was to frost the cake and let it sit in the fridge overnight. My sister mentioned something about a crumb coat (I think), but I didn't know what it was, let alone how to do it.



All in all the cupcakes and cake began the day looking quite cute. There was only one questionable with wonky eyes. He was good for a laugh, until they all went south. Poor Elmos!

No comments:

Post a Comment