Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sleep Training?!?!?

So, I read all of these websites that talk about how wonderful sleep training is and negate parents who do attachment parenting-type behaviors. (All of the things I do.) One webpage actually said that, "otherwise intelligent parents were reduced to xyz to get their babies to sleep." I was blown away at their disregard for the way I choose to parent. It's my choice if I want to hold my baby or wear him to sleep. I don't think that these parenting behaviors make me less of an in-control or competent parent.

My wild thing came up on four months and became a crazy arm flailer. He hits himself, rips his paci out of his mouth, scratches himself, and does anything he can to fight sleep. I read that ALL babies like to be swaddled, even if they "scream viciously" when they are first wrapped. This sounds so stupid to me. My wild thing did not like to be swaddled when he was born and hasn't every time we tried since then. He protested loudly when we wrapped him up through those torturous weeks of night screaming. It always seemed to make it worse. My baby did not like being swaddled.

Since he began flailing his arms in the last few weeks he has been struggling with sleep...falling and staying asleep. I read that swaddling can be done without the legs. I tried this and it has worked. Just wrapping his arms helps him to sleep longer and fall asleep easier. The other day he actually woke up and fell back asleep several times while swaddled. This was awesome! Usually, awake is awake whether he's been asleep five minutes or an hour. I feel the need to write an ode to swaddling.

Wrap his arms not legs
He will sleep the hours away
Wake with smiles for me

Okay, it's more of a haiku. ;)

I'm still not interested in scheduling my wild thing, since I feel that having a child should change your life. You shouldn't expect everything to be the same afterward. Okay, I'm off my parenting soapbox. To each his own. I'm happy wrapping his arms is making him sleep well and wake happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment