Monday, August 12, 2013

How much anxiety is normal?

My wild thing is 4 months-old now. The only time we've been apart is when he went to Farmer Boys with the hubs. He slept the whole way and they went through the drive-thru. It was 20 minutes tops. This was about 3 weeks ago. I was stressed as they drove away, but we made it through.

He will be about 5 months the first time we are apart for a few hours. The thing planned is the first week of September and I'm starting to feel anxiety about being away from him for several hours. It's a photography class that I'm super excited about. My excitement doesn't seem to outweigh my anxiety. Hours fly by as when we are together, but I feel like the will drag torturously while we are apart. I've been blessed to be home, join a research team where my wild thing can be with me for most things, and have an advisor who will let me bring him to class if I've got no other options.

I thought, maybe, it would get easier as he got older...and I wouldn't have as much anxiety about leaving him. I was wrong. The other day we were at a friend's house and she was sitting on the floor next to my wild thing. He got this look on his face, like, "WTH is going on? And who are you?" As soon as he could see me the look disappeared and a potential crisis was averted. My problem is that the crisis is imminent. I will have to be away from him to go to school, etc. Sigh!

What the heck am I going to do with this anxiety? What happened to the calm and collected woman who inhabited my body before my wild thing came along? I kind of want her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment