Monday, July 1, 2013

Fauxby Wrap

I love my Moby. It's a little warm, as is wearing baby using any carrier/wrap/sling. I have been raving about the joys of babywearing to a friend of mine for weeks. The best part is that I get to keep my wild thing close AND use both of my arms. I'm going to be honest...after the first few weeks of sitting on the couch staring lovingly at my wild thing while holding him, I needed to get up and do stuff. Happy baby and happy mommy. Awesome possum!

The other day we decided to make our own. We watched a few how to videos. None of them were very specific on the fabric to use. Jersey knit was all we got. At Jo-Ann we ended up selecting a poly-cotton blend. Not the most natural fabric but it had nice stretch and was thinner than my current Moby.

My Moby is a little short and I can't tie it in the front like all of the tutorials. (READ: I feel like a fatty.) It's also very uncomfortable to tie in the back, especially if you're riding in the car. Someone suggested that bigger or taller girls should get 5 1/2 or 6 yards. We got 6 and it feels like miles and miles of fabric. I'm 5' 9" and my friend is a little bigger. For anyone buying fabric I recommend buying more and cutting it down to your size. That way you don't end up tying it in the back by default and, like me, feeling like a super fatty.

I thought about making a pocket at one end to hold some miscellaneous items. We'll see if I get ambitious. The cool thing is that there's no sewing involved in making the basic wrap. I got an iron-on patch to mark the center, which makes it way easier to wrap up.

The Money: That's what we all want to know, right? A standard Moby is $47-ish. It was about $50 for the fabric and patches. We made 2 wraps, although you could probably get 3. My friend and I split the cost. So, the wrap was about $25. A little tip...use a coupon. The fabric was $9.99/yard, but we had a 40% off coupon for Jo-Ann.

2 comments:

  1. Dropping by to say hi From the mommy blogger group. I've never used a moby so I have no idea what it feels like. I loved my BabyBjorn carrier. It came in so handy when traveling. Goodluck on the new carrier making. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Moby better than the Infantino (Bjorn style) carrier that I had with my cowboy. My wild thing feels a lot more secure all snuggled against me.

      Delete