Monday, July 8, 2013

Nursing Tops

People have told me that they are shirt-up or shirt-down nursers. I do both, but prefer shirt-down because I'm a babywearer. Pulling up my shirt is a pain while wearing a baby and it's hot. (I always wear a cami under my shirt if I'm lifting it up so I don't flash my floppy belly to the world.) Funny that I don't mind my boobs being out, but the belly is off-limits. Haha!

Since I'm opposed to spending $40+ on shirts I will only wear for a year (at most) I went to Destination Maternity for their nursing event. Buy 3 get 1 free! The downside is that they have a very limited selection...the big upside is that all tops I got are in the $20-30 range.

Motherhood Sleeveless Pull Over Snap Placket Nursing Top (On website as: Motherhood Sleeveless Pull Over Double Opening Tab Cuff Nursing Top...No, I don't know why. They obviously need help quality checking their site. I'd be happy to freelance for them.)
Pros: This top is comfy and the snaps make nursing access easy. It can be washed and dried. Also,
my hubs compliments me on it almost every time I wear it.

Cons: It's baggier in the belly than on the model. (I guess this is a pro if you want to camouflage.)
If you're modest and don't have a cover, you will be exposed. If I'm out, some kind of cover is a must!

Motherhood Sleeveless Pull Down Double Opening Braided Strap Nursing Top
Pros: This one actually has the double opening for nursing. It's more coverage than any of the other
nursing tops I've purchased. It comes in cute, bright colors (I have a blueish and coral.) The shoulder
detail is cute, as well.

Cons: I feel like it's a little big on top and a smaller size would have made it tight in my tummy.
It gets more stretched out when I nurse and babywear. The fabric is thin enough (though I wouldn't call it
a bad fabric) that you can see the inner panel right across the middle of my belly. Also, I don't think it's
supposed to be dried. I wash it in cold and hang dry.

Motherhood Sleeveless Pull Over Double Opening Stretch Fabric Nursing Top(Note: This is not double opening, but a pull down top.)
Pros: My personal favorite. This top fits well and the double elastic along the neckline adds detail.
It's comfortable and I feel cute in it. To nurse, it's a simple pull down design. The fabric is a soft
cotton that is easily washed and dried. I have been wearing this shirt for a few months now and was worried
about stretch in the neckline from pulling it down. I haven't had any problems with that so far.

Cons: If you are modest, this shirt offers no coverage while nursing. You need a cover if you
don't want "the girls" hanging out.

I have one other top that came from Target. It is a hand-me-down, so I couldn't find information on it for you. Instead of a double opening, this shirt has a panel across the boobs that has elastic (like an empire waistline). I'm not sure what that is called. The benefit of this top is that it provides a lot of coverage while nursing. The panel that lifts up covers the top portion of your boob, which most tops I've found don't do.

If you have extra in the budget and want some cute tops, check out peek-a-boo maternity & nursing wear. The tops that I've found there are super cute. This is an example: Angel Sleeve Top.

Hope this helps those who are monumentally confused by the world of nursingwear!

1 comment:

  1. You got some lovely tops. I remember when looking for tops I went to Target as well and they also had a great selection. You might want to check them out as well. :)

    ReplyDelete